The Block at Cass Park, formerly known as S.S. Kresge World Headquarters, was constructed in 1928 as a response to Kresge’s rapid expansion throughout the country. Designed by Albert Kahn, and noted for its bold art deco style, the building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was designated a Michigan State Historic Site. Upon Kresge's departure, the building became the Detroit Institute of Technology, and later the Metropolitan Center for High Technology. During this period a number of high tech wet labs were built into the space, and the building provided startup and research for tech firms and Wayne State University. Today, the Block at Cass Park offers a diverse mix of office, research, startup, and creative space.